Aam ki Launji
Raw mangoes are supposed to be “cooling” for our body system. To beat the intense desert heat, a drink called “kairi ka pani” is made using raw mango pulp, flavoured with jeera powder, sugar and black salt. This recipe is another way to combat the heat. Raw mangoes are tempered with fennel and nigella seeds and simmered with spices and sugar to make an instant pickle that can be served with afternoon meals.
- 1 cup raw mango , peeled and cubed
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds (saunf)
- 1/4 tsp nigella seeds (kalonji)
- 3 tsp coriander (dhania) powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp oil
- salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the fennel seeds, nigella seeds and mango pieces and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the coriander powder, chilli powder, turmeric powder, sugar and salt with 4 tablespoons of water. Stir and simmer till the sugar has dissolved.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Store refrigerated for up to 4 days.
Credits: Tarla dalal