Healthy ways to eat non vegetarian foods
Best ways to eat meat: Meat, fish and poultry has its health benefits so it would be wrong to shun them as bad foods. They are good sources of the best proteins, readily available iron, vitamins B12 and D apart from several other vitamins and minerals. Thus it can have good benefits if eaten in moderation, combined with plant foods and cooked the right way. Here below are some tips on how to get to eat meat with lesser risk for health problems.
• Choose the right meats: Fish is the healthiest of all non vegetarian foods. It may be eaten daily. Lean white meat like chicken and turkey rank next. Red meat should be avoided or eaten rarely. Should you want to, then have not more than twice or three times a week.
• What not to choose: Always buy fresh meat. Avoid or restrict processed and canned meats. This includes sausages, canned fish, burgers, salami, ham, etc
• Fat from the meat: All visible fat and skin from meat and poultry should be removed before cooking so that the fat will fall off due to the heat of cooking. On the contrary, the fat of fish is healthy. The fattier the fish, the healthier it is. Fatty fish like sardines can actually be cooked in its own fat.
• Cooking methods: Pan-grill fish and keep basting it with its own fat. Make curries with minimum oil. Steam, bake, or stew. Do not deep fry fish, meat or poultry. This process makes all meats unhealthy. Grilling on direct fire as in barbequing is not a healthy method on a regular basis. Partially cook the meats and then grill or fry only to brown it.
• Combining with other foods: A plate of fish and chips is not a healthy combo. Never forget to eat your vegetables and fruits while eating a non vegetarian meal. The vitamins in the plant foods help the absorption of the minerals like iron in the meats. The antioxidants in the fruits and vegetables reduce the ill effects whatsoever of eating meats. Also, when one eats lots of fresh salad vegetables and fruits along with the meal, one will tend to eat lesser portions of meat.