Methi Matar Malai
A tasty combination of fenugreek leaves and green peas which is highly filled with iron. This is a good way of adding fenugreek to the diet of those who are fussy about eating green leafy vegetables.
- Green Peas – 1 cup
- Fenugreek leaves (Methi) – 1 bunch
- Cream – 1/2 cup
- Tomato – 1 (pureed)
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Chilly powder – 1/2 tsp (optional)
- Milk – if needed for gravy
- Butter – 1 tblsp
- Salt – to taste
- Onion – 1
- Green Chilly – 1
- Cashew nuts/ Almonds – 1 tblsp
- Poppy seeds(khus khus) – 1 tblsp (optional)
- Curd – 1 tblsp
- Ginger – 1/2 ” piece
- Cinnamon – 1/2 ” stick
- Cloves – 3
- Cardamom – 1
- Roast all the ingredients under “to grind” except curd. Make a paste of it with the curd and keep aside.
- Remove the methi leaves, discard the stem. Soak it in hot water for 5 minutes and drain it well.
- Heat butter in a pan, add the cumin seeds.
- Add the chilly powder, turmeric powder, ground paste and the tomato puree and let it cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the green peas (matar), fenugreek leaves(methi) and malai (cream).
- Add milk as needed to get the desired gravy consistency.
- Boil for 5 minutes until the gravy thickens and the ingredients are cooked.
- Garnish with some fresh cream and serve with any roti varieties.
Credits: Simple Indian Recipes