Rajma chawal or kidney beans with rice is a delicious combination of Indian foods. This dish is a whole meal in itself and full of nutrition.
- 1 1/2 cup Rajma or kidney beans
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 1 green chilli
- 3 tablespoon oil
- Generous pinch of asafetida (hing)
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder(jeera)
- 2 tablespoon (coriander) dhania powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric or haldi powder
- Salt to taste
- Red chilli powder to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 chopped tomato for garnish
- Soak the kidney beans (Rajma) in about six cups of water for at least 6 hours.
- Chop the tomatoes in small sections.
- Cut the green chilli slice lengthwise and take out the seeds.
- Mix green chilli, tomatoes and ginger and convert it into a paste.
- Take a oil in pressure cooker and heat it.
- Add Black pepper, paprika, asafetida and cumin seeds, as the cumin seeds crack add tomato paste, coriander, turmeric and chili powder.
- Mix it all for 2 to 3 minutes until the oil is untying from the mixture.
- Add salt, kidney beans and three cups of water in the cooker.
- Cook it all on medium heat as pressure cooker commences steaming turn the heat down and cook for about 12 minutes.
- Shut the heat and wait until steam has ended before releasing the pressure cooker.
- Kidney beans should be soft and tender. Lightly smash the kidney beans during mixing it.
- Adjust salt, and pepper to taste.
- Garnish it with chopped tomatoes.