Spinach Rice Recipe
The benefits of Spinach are many. They provide more nutrients than any other food, when compared calorie for calorie. This is a very nutrient-dense food. It’s low in calories yet very high in vitamins, minerals and other phytonutrients. It is also loaded in flavanoid, hence making it an excellent antioxidant. Another of the benefits of spinach is that this is a heart-healthy food and also an outstanding source of vitamins C and A which are antioxidants that help reduce free radical amounts in the body. The antioxidants work to keep cholesterol from oxidizing. With all these benefits, spinach make for an excellent addition for your regular diet. Here’s the recipe for a tasty preparation of Spinach rice:
Rice – 1.5 cups
Moong Dal – 1 cup
Spinach – 1 bunch (chopped)
Onion – 1/4 (finely chopped)
Garlic – 3 (minced)
Ginger – 1″ piece (minced)
Tomato – 1 (chopped)
Green Chillies – 2 (minced)
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Goda Masala – 1 tsp
Ghee/ Oil – 1 tblsp
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Salt – to taste
1. Wash and soak the rice and dal for 10-15 minutes.
2. Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add the cumin seeds.
3. Next add the onion, garlic and ginger. Fry till it becomes soft.
4. Add the tomato, green chilly, goda masala, turmeric powder and fry for a minute.
5. Next add the chopped spinach and cook till it wilts.
6. Add the rice, dal, 5 cups of water and required salt.
7. Pressure cook for 2-3 whistles or transfer to a rice cooker and cook till done.
8. Serve this warm and comforting meal with some papad and pickle.